Saturday, July 18, 2009

1 Month 3 Days

That's the official time left before I leave for Japan! It's coming up so quickly!


A picture of my future school...looks nice!

A few things have happened since my last post. I've booked my flight so I'm officially flying out on August 21st. I also applied for my visa a few weeks ago so everything is going smoothly. Canadian things continue to pile up on my desk such as Canadian ties, mini hockey sticks, socks, playing cards, magnets, stickers, pencils, bandanas, and of course I'll be prepared for the countless situations in which I'll need an inflatable Canadian baseball bat...

I also contacted my host club counselor in Japan and he/she (the name was pretty ambiguous) passed on the email address of my first host family. In my last post, I had been kinda worried that there might have been no host siblings since the papers didn't mention any. It turns out I'll have THREE host brothers! One is 20 and off at a university in Yokohama (pretty far away from Kanazawa), one is 18 and "busy studying for college entrance exams," and one is 16. My host club counselor told me that the 16 year old will be my best friend. Wow, they've planned out EVERYTHING for me over there...:P

So I sent my first host family an email and the father responded back in an email with a mix of English, Japanese, and Japanese written with English letters. The cool part was that he sent a picture of the family and they look really cool. When I showed my parents, I pointed to an empty space high above everybody's head in the picture and said "That's where I'll be."

The only stuff left to do now is get more Canadian stuff, get some nice host family/Rotary gifts, get a better camera (so I can post all the professional top quality photos on this blog that everyone will shed a tear for at the very first sight), and maybe some new clothes since I'm sure they'd have to special order everything in my size over there.

I'll make a post closer to my departure date and from then on this will be a blog coming from a Rotary INBOUND!!

5 comments:

Resa said...

Can you believe it?!? We leave so soon! I'm also set to fly out on the 21st. Do you know where you're flying out from, or when you arrive in Narita? If we're lucky we can meet up, that'd be awesome!!! AHH, I can't wait!!!

Jared Stryker said...

Nice! I'm flying out of Toronto and it's a direct flight to Narita. I'll be in Narita at 3:00 pm on the 22nd but then I got to switch to another airport and take another flight. That'd be cool to meet up!

Resa said...

Really? I have the exact same schedule (aside from the Toronto part)! I get into Narita at 3pm and then transfer to Haneda. So, I guess I'll see you in Japan ^^

emmaelizabeth said...

you'd be surprised how tall some asian people can be - boys here are usually my height or taller for the most part and i think japanese people are taller than thais. dont spend too much money or suitcase on clothes :)

your family sounds rad and your school looks awesome!!

Yuki Hoshime said...

WAHHHHHHHHH JAREDDDDDD i'm going to miss youuuuuuuuuuuu~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hope u post lots and lots of blogs, i'll try to kep up with them!!! and i'm so excited for you! I hope u won't get a curved spine from bending over! j/k XD

So asides from studying there, will you also visit other prefectures too?